Khanh Hoa is a province of Vietnam located in the South Central Coast. It has a population of 1,066,300 and spans an area of 5,197 km². Its capital is Nha Trang. Khanh Hoa is the site of Bao Dai’s summer home, the Pasteur Institute of Nha Trang, the Institute of Oceanography, the Institute of Vaccines and Biological Substances, and was headquarters of the US Army’s Special Forces (“the Green Berets”) during the Vietnam War in the late 1950s and 1960s. Cam Ranh Bay port is on land closest to a deep sea drop in Vietnam – the best site for submarine bases in Vietnam. An ancient temple of Champa is on the north side of Nha Trang.
The site of what is now Khanh Hoa had been within the territory of the Champa Kingdom before it was annexed to Dai Viet’s (Viet Nam’s) territory. In 1653, one of the Nguyen lords, Nguyen Phuc Tan, sent his troops to occupy Phan Rang. The Champa king Ba Tam surrendered to Nguyen’s troops and ceded an area from the east of the Phan Rang River to Phu Yen to the Nguyen lord. The Nguyen lord accepted the ceded territory and set up the Thai Khang garrison and divided it into two districts: Thai Khang and Dien Ninh.
In 1832, under the rule of emperor Minh Mang, this area was renamed Khanh Hoa and was divided into two districts which included four counties: Phu Dien Khanh inclusive of Phuoc Dien and Vinh Xuong county; Phu Ninh Hoa inclusive of Quang Phuoc and Tan Dinh county.
Under French Indochina, the provincial capital was located in Dien Khanh Citadel, but it was relocated in Nha Trang Town in 1945.
During the Vietnam War, Khanh Hoa was a hub of military activity for the Republic of Vietnam army (ARVN), the Republic of Vietnam Navy, the Republic of Vietnam Air Force, and for the U.S. Pacific Air Forces (USAF), particularly in Cam Ranh Bay and at the Nha Trang Air Base. The II Corp. headquarters was located in Nha trang and populated by general and field officers, intelligence groups and ARVN liaisons.
After the communists’ victory and the Fall of Saigon on April 30, 1975, the communist regime merged two provinces, Phu Yen and Khanh Hoa, into Phu Khanh Province on 29 October 1975. In 1977, Nha Trang Town was upgraded to city status. In 1982, the National Assembly decided to incorporate the Spratly Islands into Phu Khanh Province. On June 30, 1989, the National Assembly reversed its previous decision and split Phu Khanh Province into two provinces as they were before.
KHANH HOA PORTAL: https://khanhhoa.gov.vn/
Map of Khanh Hoa province
List of districts of Khanh Hoa: Cam Ranh city, Nha Trang city, Ninh Hoa town, Cam Lam district, Dien Khanh district, Khanh Son district, Khanh Vinh district, Van Ninh district, dao Truong Sa district.
Interactive online map
Click on to view map in “full screen” mode.
See more: Provincial Map of Vietnam: An Giang | Ba Ria – Vung Tau | Bac Lieu | Bac Kan | Bac Giang | Bac Ninh | Ben Tre | Binh Duong | Binh Dinh | Binh Phuoc | Binh Thuan | Ca Mau | Cao Bang | Can Tho city | Da Nang city | Dak Lak | Dak Nong | Dien Bien | Dong Nai | Dong Thap | Gia Lai | Ha Giang | Ha Nam | Ha Noi city | Ha Tinh | Hai Duong | Hai Phong city | Ho Chi Minh city | Hoa Binh | Hau Giang | Hung Yen | Khanh Hoa | Kien Giang | Kon Tum | Lai Chau | Lao Cai | Lang Son | Lam Dong | Long An | Nam Dinh | Nghe An | Ninh Binh | Ninh Thuan | Phu Tho | Phu Yen | Quang Binh | Quang Nam | Quang Ngai | Quang Ninh | Quang Tri | Soc Trang | Son La | Tay Ninh | Thai Binh | Thai Nguyen | Thanh Hoa | Thua Thien – Hue | Tien Giang | Tra Vinh | Tuyen Quang | Vinh Long | Vinh Phuc | Yen Bai.
High-resolution maps (JPG) of Khanh Hoa. Resolution: 2252 x 3199 px